Applications for the 2017 Ecology & Conservation Intern Program have now closed.
AWC offers opportunities for promising graduate students to gain valuable field experience in conservation research via its Internship Program.
In 2017, AWC will offer a total of ten internships, of 4 ½ - 6 months duration, across its network of sanctuaries. Each internship has been designed to provide an exciting training program designed to introduce conservation biologists to a variety of sanctuaries with a host of different ecosystems, flora and fauna, field techniques, and conservation issues.
The internships provide a modest living stipend for the duration of the program, plus travel assistance.
Successful interns may be offered one of two intakes (dates noted in the Internship program below.)
The intern will be mentored by a team of experienced ecologists, who will provide on-going assessment throughout the training program. At the end of the training program, the intern's progress will be evaluated, and an assessment report provided.
Required skills include:
- A Bachelors degree with (preferably with Honours) in an ecology/ conservation program (eg BSc Hons).
- Strong commitment to wildlife conservation.
- Some experience with:
- Fauna and flora survey
- Living and working in remote areas (including extended periods camping in the field whilst undertaking surveys) with small groups of people.
- Some experience with data collection and management.
- Ability to learn identification of Australian flora and fauna.
- Knowledge and appreciation of animal welfare issues.
- Physically capable to undertake strenuous fieldwork and high level of fitness.
- Experience with following OHS and animal ethics procedures.
- Must be able to conduct fieldwork for extended hours (sometimes at night).
- Valid manual Australian (or internationally recognised) drivers’ licence.
- Fluency in English.
- Internships are open to all applicants with the right to work in Australia (appropriate visa, permanent residency etc), though noting key criteria is an understanding of Australian flora and fauna.
For more information about the program and details on how to apply, please click on the link below.
Science Graduate Internship Opportunities
Interpretation Officer Internship - Yookamurra Wildlife Sanctuary - Now Closed
Currently AWC has two x three month internships available, each with an exciting training program designed to introduce graduates with an interest in conservation education, environmental interpretations, and community engagement to a variety of sanctuaries with a host of different ecosystems, flora and fauna, field techniques, and conservation issues.
Dates of internship: 1st intake – Monday 1st August to Monday 31st October 2016, 2nd intake – Monday 13th March to Monday 12th June 2017.
Click on the Interpretation Officer Internship link below for full details about the internship.
|Position:||Ecology & Conservation Internship|
|Based at:||Various Sanctuaries|
|Enquiries:||Listed in "How to apply" section|
|Closing Date:||Closed - shortlisting in process|